Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Tunnel

5 of 5 viewers "Liked" "The Tunnel" (2011, Australia)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Book Wyrm - "I felt like I was watching a real 60 minutes special. The creature beneath the tunnels really intrigued me, and I wished it was explained more." - 4 Stars

Ice Giant - "The Australians are making great horror lately. The monster was really unique, it was nice to see a monster found footage instead of ghosts." - 4 1/2 Stars

The Great Hornito - "A really well done Blair Witch-esk movie. The characters were well developed and the story had me deeply enveloped in this well written story. I wish they made all found footage movies this well." - 4 Stars

Huntress - "This was so refreshing, a paranormal hunting movie that doesn't take place in an abandoned mental hospital and has characters I didn't hate. I kept thinking it was a dark mix of Grizzly Man and Grave Encounters."  - 4 1/2 Stars

Lord Battle - "Imagine 60 minutes had a paranormal mishap and caught it all on tape, only to end up later devoting a special to what happened. A solid found footage film with likable characters & a believable story." - 4 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
Once again I regret adding a trailer to the review page, I would stop but it makes the post feel more complete. It's just a shame how brutally some trailers misrepresent their film. The trailer for "The Tunnel" is very revealing which is pretty typical for most found footage trailers, since for some reason a rule was written that trailers had to be action packed even when its respective film is driven by suspense... Oh well.
One thing I have learned while watching numerous found footage films is that a lot depends on how they start the film. The Blair Witch, in my opinion has the best approach. Interviews with weirdo's. Interviewing strange people offers a chance to show the characters controlling the film, which is very important since they always end up losing control (and we want the contrast!) but it also is perfect for some humor. Humor is vital in found footage since the whole film acts as a suspenseful mystery from the second it starts (I mean the footage was "found" after all) and the release is very important, Plus its a awesome character building device.
"The Tunnel" does a nice take on the weirdo interviews by interviewing the film makers after the fact, which also makes up the bulk of the film. 
"The Tunnel" also showcases Crypto-zoology (which in my opinion always trumps the spiritual in found footage) which always makes for a better climax. Ghosts and spirits always have great build up, being they are the ultimate unknown but when it comes to a climax they always fall flat. Without spoiling to much I have to say my favorite scene in this film is the discovery of the things lair, I love the development of monsters and this film offers a very interesting visual of it's lair.
- Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment